Thursday, May 12, 2011

May 2011 - Day 2/3 - Post by Dr. Chris DeLuca

Well everyone home is up and about (and poking me on Facebook... Tony Schwering... *lol*) but I am just getting moving... 2 hrs behind here (I PROMISE I am not THAT lazy!). As usual today should be our busy day. Yesterday afternoon we saw 14 consultas, 7 of which were surgical (albeit one was an inguinal hernia that Dr. Hoak did :)). Productive day... We have 3 cases scheduled today, 2 vaginal hysterectomies with repairs (or vagathons as Heidi likes to call them), and a abdominal hysterectomy for a big firboid utures. Also scheduled 3 for tomorrow, one ovarian cystectomy, another abdominal hysterectomy for fibroids, and the slightly scary one, a abdominal hysterectomy to take out the girl parts and a soft a baseball sized mass next to her cvx that we are hoping is only a degenerated fibroid, but a little more worried is cancer... I've seen my share of Gyn Onc as a first assist in residency, but still not terribly comfortable with having to be one... praying for Gods favor in doing an adequate job if that is what it turns out to be. We did have one we couldn't fix... incontinence picture which was ? suspicious for a fistula between the bladder and vagina. Sure enough, when we put in the speculum, urine poured out and continued to pour confirm our suspicions. Dr. Tom Hoak (the general surgeon who is full time here and does a little of everything) is seeing her tomorrow to see if he can take a crack at it... hope he can, because there isn't much in the way of urology or urogyn here obviously... not a lot of options. I definitely don't know how to do it. Her story is sad... delivered a dead term baby at home after a prolonged labor, has leaked ever since... her husband left her as a result and now her brother cares for her. Pray that we are able to fix her issue, or find someone who can. More importantly pray that He start to heal the wounds this must have inflicted on her. We will probably try to work in a few more consultas between cases today as well. One interesting thing that I was asking Heidi about this morning... on the ladies we take care of, we ask them if they are in a church, if they know Jesus, and if they have accepted Him. Increasingly, the answer this time was "Claro" (meaning "Clearly" or "Of Course"). For the 42 y/o who was leaving in 3 months for a 4 yr missionary commitment to Spain (very cool by the way, I found her to be someone I may have been friends with in a different life (one that I spoke Spanish better in... *lol*)) I believe that very much... but sometimes it seemed to come to quickly. I pray that the Spirit is indeed moving here in such a way that people truly know and trust God, but I am nervous. Part of me wonders too if they feel like they need to say that to be cared for because we asked. That is OF COURSE not the case... God rejoices over the one returning son, the one coin found, etc... we would LOVE to opportunity to serve His lost sheep... just hope they understand that. Either way, will love on them and hope somehow through our inadequacies they will still see HIM. Part of me wonders if the Sunday Christianity that is so much a part of our home country (that requires little belief, little life change, and mostly attendance) has spilled over here... who knows I guess. Impossible to see in a 1 wk trip really, but praying for real, saving knowledge. ANYWAY, thanks for the prayers and love... Heidi said Micah did sleep a little better last night. Hopefully she will settle down some today too... she wanted to feed/be held almost continuously yesterday (and I just wouldn't do) which I know was frustrating for Heidi, but she handled it with SO much grace... hoping when my time comes I can find that patience... she definitely was the ultimate mom on MOther's Day, nursing, soothing, and doing consultas all at once. :-) So the OR starts up in an hour so I best be off to get ready! Pray for everything mentioned above and for a good day of patient care, that he would guide or hands and words as we take care of these ladies.... love to you all!



Chris

.

No comments: