Sunday, November 06, 2011

Nearly Perfect Clinic Day

Well, anyone who knows any surgeons know that a "perfect" clinic day (if there is such a thing) is one where you schedule 100% of the patients you see for surgery! We came closer today than ever. I am grateful that God's mercy seemed to be upon us today in the scheduling. We had eight patients show up (then saw two of the local nurses also, for a total of ten)-- Of the eight first ones, seven actually need surgery, and five are scheduled! The other two are not sure they are ready so might come back tomorrow or might come back in February.

I think one of the best parts was that the two hospital employees asked me for a "consulta" today-- This has been happening a little more commonly lately, and to me it is a sign that we are really gaining their trust and respect. At least I hope it is! I have been working here at the hospital for nearly five years now, and I think the first time this happened was my last trip, so it's been pretty slow in coming. Praise God for the positive feedback!

Biggest prayer request of the day: the couple in the picture below. We will be operating on her tomorrow, and they are actually the only patients we saw today that don't at least claim to be Christians. She is in the Catholic church here, in which it is not acceptable to accept Christ. Very sad state of affairs for the Catholic church here, but unfortunately true and we will pray for her hard this week! Her name is Tomasa Mejia and she is pictured with her husband.

The other pictures are Chris and Kelly with our first "paycheck" of the week... a bag of apples from our first patient! I've actually only very rarely had anyone bring a gift like that to their first consult, so it was really quite nice. The second two are of the group (I took the pictures, using the excuse that most of the readers already know what I look like ;-) One is with the "Welcome to Chichicastenango" sign, and the other is just closer. I am so thankful to be here with such a fun and hard-working group!







No comments: