Sunday, May 12, 2013

Greetings from the Past...

Good morning and Happy Mother's Day to all you fabulous Moms out there!  Just wanted to share another quick story from last night before we go down to market and the clinic...

Sitting at dinner last night, my Guatemalan cell phone rang (a great blessing to be able to keep the same number for years now and just recharge it every time I come down!).  It was Cecilia, or "Ceci"-- our former translator from ASELSI!  Some of our more regular readers might remember she was and is near and dear to our hearts-- we learned so much from her about the people here and how to love and teach them more effectively.  

Matt and I also had the privilege of helping her with "scholarship" money to help her put herself (she is a single mom) through nursing school, and she now works at ASELSI with a promotion to a nursing position!  We were so impressed with her enthusiasm for learning from her experiences in clinic.  She enrolled herself in school without mentioning it to us at all; we heard about it from Sharon Harvey who runs ASELSI.  We actually approached HER about our willingness to help financially, and she very faithfully completed the program.

Anyway, last night she called because she had heard I was coming, and apparently she had a gift that she made some months ago and had not been able to give me.  So she was standing outside our apartment door, and I invited her to come meet us up at the restaurant. She and her sister came in just to chat for a minute and deliver a beautiful hand-made table runner that I can't wait to get on our table at home.

Just another quick reminder of God's grace and provision-- It's always just when I start to wonder if I am doing anything worthwhile on these trips that He sends a gentle and beautiful reminder like that.   So here's a picture of me with Ceci and her sister Cristy-- someone tell Isaac his "Tia Ceci" (Aunt Ceci) says HI!



No comments: