Tuesday, February 02, 2016

More people to love on and pray for!

Sorry we didn't get around to blogging last night; I got home from Tom's last case in the OR around 11, and after our two long cases for the day and a few clinic patients it just wasn't meant to be... ("it" being ANYthing other than crawling in to a nice, warm bed, that is!)

So we now have four gynecologic surgery patients in the hospital and four members of our surgical team-- and it is both a blessing and a curse to report that the patients are now officially less sick than WE are! Nick is feeling better from his cold, but he passed the cold part on to Amanda and the GI symptom part on to Skip, it seems!  No idea how I'm managing to avoid it so far, but you better believe I'm knocking on every wooden surface within reach when I say that ;-)

Both yesterday's and today's surgeries were awesome-- Despite the fact that poor Amanda was stuck operating between two dueling attendings who were literally making a sport out of disagreeing with each other!  I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard in the OR before, and keeping it light definitely was great.  I learned a ton from Dr. Skip Johnstone with his vast experience in vaginal surgery, and he at least learned about how much he can do with WAY fewer and lower quality instruments than he is used to.

In all seriousness, though, we have done four awesome surgeries and both Amanda and I have gained valuable surgical experience.  More importantly, though, four women now have bodies that are in much better shape now gynecologically-speaking and should feel much more comfortable.  There are simply no words for the joy of realizing the privilege it is to serve these women in this way.

One of our patients, Rodas, can't speak much Spanish (only her native Mayan language), but each time I visit with her, she takes my hand and simply stares into my eyes smiling as if she will never let go.  She says more in those eyes than the largest dictionary ever could.  I deserve absolutely none of her gratitude or praise, and can only feebly attempt in Spanish words to redirect it to my God to whom it belongs... but it is still a sweet gift that He has chosen to give me just as a loving parent does with his or her children.  What a blessing.

All four are doing quite well and the first two will likely go home tomorrow.  It is amazing and humbling to know that despite the dirt floors and tired old pads-as-mattresses or cots or maybe even straw mats they are going home to sleep on, they would still rather be at home with their families instead of on a soft bed in the hospital with their pain controlled and their meals cooked for them.  Can you imagine getting on a public bus or in the back of a pick-up truck to go home from the hospital after your surgery?  And then getting out and walking anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes or so to get from the road to your house?  These ladies are tough as nails, my friends.  There is so much we could learn from them!

I do covet your prayers especially, though, as I post about once a year or so, for guidance and vision for the mission here in Chichi or in Guatemala altogether.  This week has been very slow patient-wise, and that always makes me worry-- why are the patients not coming?  Did something happen that I don't know about that tarnished the reputation of my surgeries or the hospital?  Is God just trying to tell me I'm not needed here that much anymore?  Or is He just getting ready to send something CRAZY in the door tomorrow that He knows we will need all day to deal with?!?

Patients in clinic-- though few in number-- have definitely kept us busy and on our toes!  As usual, I'm glad that many specific patients that have come in came in specifically this week when I have the specific expertise on the team that I do.  Dr. Johnstone's strong background and experience in urogynecology has been invaluable for both Amanda AND I this week in clinic~  not to even mention the patients!

Tomorrow we only have clinic patients and Tom's surgical patients scheduled so it "should" be a little more low-key of a day.  We will try to let you know tomorrow night, but I somehow kind of doubt it... Let's just say I've spent enough time here to know better! ;-)

My very favorite picture from today is this one-- Not many people in the world have a picture of themselves with their spouse in the OR, scrubbed in for a case and praying over the patient before starting.  Photo cred to Skip, who I encouraged to "play heathen" during the prayer in order to snap the shot.





Also, the "obligatory", traditional "uterus selfie" from yesterday-- thanks to Erin for taking a break from PT student duties for a bit down at ASELSI to join in our OR phone also!


Also, our last patient from today, who we will most likely do a hysterectomy for in May (long story, but she is just not ready yet for this trip...).  SHE asked at the end of the consult if she could get a picture with US on her phone-- so of course we said only if we could take one with ours, too!  Another Guatemalan "first" for me this week.  She and her husband are adorable and were so much fun, even after waiting over eight hours to be seen by us today!  Again, puts things in to perspective some and very humbling.


God bless you all tonight or whenever you are reading this, and remember, "IT'S ALL GOOD"-- according to both God in The Bible (Genesis) and my favorite catch-phrase and Spare Change song!!


No comments: