Sunday, February 05, 2017

Fiesta en su Vagina

You probably don't want to ask about the title; Chris made me do it based on some counseling/teaching that I did for one patient today ;-)  She may have been somewhere around the 23rd or so of 27 total patients, and I "may or may not" have been a little loopy by that point.

So yes, 27 patients today~  We are tired.  We scheduled ten surgeries, though, which is awesome-- especially for Adele, who will get some amazing surgical experience this week!  I'm just hoping that maybe she'll get tired enough to share after a while ;-)

So we have scheduled 6 "vag-a-thons" (our affectionate term for repair of severe vaginal prolapse-- or for our more medically inclined, a TVH with anterior plus-or-minus posterior repair, high uterosacral ligament suspension, and perineoplasty), 2 vaginal hysterectomies without other repairs, 1 abdominal hysterectomy, and a D and C for a suspected endometrial polyp.  Not a bad haul for our efforts on the day.

Let's see about some stories from the day... Every time I come down here, I experience another "first"-- just when I thought I had seen it all, today there was:


  • the young lady who was recording me on video while I was giving my little welcome talk to everyone waiting-- letting them know they didn't have to be fasting all day for anything, and also that we would see them all as long as they were willing to wait their turn (often clinics here will close before seeing the last patients...)
  • A patient's family that brought us all cold Gatorades to drink towards the middle of the day-- this has happened once or twice before but it's always awesome!  And I think this is the first time they were cold...
  • A father who was very worried about his 18 year old having appendicitis-- or a kidney stone-- or a gallbladder problem-- because the left side of her back had been hurting for two days.  (A pain which, by the way, we were unable to illicit on exam... but hey!  At least he cared about her, right?)
We are now thankfully enjoying a nice dinner before retiring for the night~  Sure to be a long day tomorrow, with four surgeries to do and likely plenty more patients in clinic.  Wish us luck and let us know who won the Super Bowl!

No comments: